- Material: Sardonyx Shell.
- Date and Origin: Cameo is French circa 1840/1850.
- Frame: Frame is English, not marked but tested as at least 15 gold.
- Size: 3 1/8" by 2 3/4 cameo itself is 2 2/8" by 1 6/8".
- Conditions: A not noticeable by naked eye cut in the top scroll of the gold frame. Mentioned for accuracy otherwise mint.
This is a Museum Quality cameo depicting Venus on her chariot, it is very large, 8 cm by 7 cm (3 1/8" by 2 3/4"), it is from Victorian era, circa 1840/1850, the cameo has a kind of locket on its back, and the faux glass can be removed to put into a picture or anything else, there is a gold large ring to fix the faux glass on the back. The carving is superb, my pictures don't give justice to it because the white of the carving reflects the light and all the details seem not crisply as they really are. The mounting is itself an artwork, 15 kt gold, the elaborate one was added to the first flat one, as you clearly can see in the pictures. There are not stress lines or chips or cracks. A very desiderable cameo for any collector.